Answers to sample gateway
For each problem on the sample gateway, the correct answer is listed,
followed by a brief description of the solution and suggested reading
if you got the problem wrong.
- (d) Plug in m=-2v; simplify. Read:
- (c) Intersections have same y value; solve for x
by putting everything on one side; Q has x>0.
- (b) y-intercept is where x=0; then solve for
y. Read: 1.8, 1.10, 2.2, 2.3.
- (c) Take reciprocal of fraction; then use
1/x-2=x2. Read: 1.2.
- (b) Distribute. Read: 1.2, 1.3.
- (d) Move everything over to one side, solve.
- (b) (ab)r=arbr.
- (a) Solve simultaneously. One method: 2nd equation implies
x=-7y-2, eliminate x, solve for y.
- (d) Solution means if you plug in x and y,
equation works. Then solve for &phi. Read:
1.8, 2.2, 2.3. AKA: Hsu's favorite question.
- (a) Other answers ignore -8.5, ignore positive numbers, or make
no sense. Read: 1.7.
- (c) Common denominator. Read: 1.4.
- (e) Expand (g+4)(g+5), move everything to one side, and
solve for g. Alt: Try all answers. Read:
here to return to Math 19 home page